Meriwether County Family Connection (MCFC) is dedicated to our Get Meriwether Reading Literacy Team (GMRLT). MCFC reaches out to children from 0 to 8 years of age and their parents with an awareness campaign focusing on the importance of reading and engaging with children. MCFC feels our community owes it to our children to give them an environment where they can grow up to be successful and contributing members of our society. The goal is to create an environment where all children are ready to read when they arrive at Pre-K.
Some of MCFC’s most successful programs are:
- Reading Rangers: Working with at-risk students PreK to 2nd grade to improve their scores at school.
- Reading Cubs: Reaching all children 0-4 years of age and providing Leap Frog Learning books, flash cards, and activities to prepare them for Pre-K.
- Mommy & Me Events: Reaching parents and women of child-bearing age to provide much needed resources and parent education.
- Summer Read & Feed: Partnering with school system nutrition department and providing books and materials to the children at feeding sites throughout the county.
- Back to School Bash Event: Providing school supplies and resources, with a focus on Get Meriwether Reading (GMR) and Pre-K registration.
About Georgia Family Connection
Georgia Family Connection is the only statewide network of its kind in the country with partners in all 159 counties working toward measurably better outcomes for our children, families, and communities. This gives us a unique vantage point—not only to see the big picture—but also to operate effectively at a local level.
We disentangle the mess of barriers, service gaps, and inefficiencies obscuring progress for our most vulnerable families. We do that by connecting our partners to resources, helping coordinate and manage efforts, and empowering our communities to craft local solutions based on local decisions.
Georgia Family Connection Partnership (GaFCP) represents and promotes Georgia Family Connection’s work, provides expertise in planning and governance, administers the state-appropriated funds for the local Collaboratives, sets standards of excellence, and helps Collaboratives evaluate their progress.
The state’s designated KIDS COUNT grantee, GaFCP also provides state agencies and policymakers with current, reliable data they need to inform decisions about improving conditions for the communities they serve.
At Georgia Family Connection, we work to ensure that all children are healthy, primed for school, and succeed when they get there; families are stable, self-sufficient, and productive; and communities are vibrant, robust, and thriving.
None of these result areas stand in isolation. They overlap. By collaborating across sectors to address them, we nurture children and families who thrive in vibrant communities—everywhere. Because we work toward measurably better outcomes for everyone.